April 15, 2015
It is that time of year again, where we want to reach out to you and seek your feedback on the performance of our school. This will be our 3rd annual survey that we are seeking your input. While the previous 2 years’ surveys were very important, this year’s survey results will serve as a big piece of the roadmap that is handed off to the new principal as we head into a new leg of the journey. Each of the candidates we have interviewed mentioned the importance of a survey and receiving the feedback of the community. Without your assistance the strategy will be driven by a few rather than by all.
I have heard from some that they don’t want to take the time for the survey because the feedback is not used. Nothing could be further from the truth. Our previous 2 surveys were instrumental in driving a number of improvements that have been implemented by the staff and teachers from both schools. Below are a number of changes that have taken place over the past few years that were driven by feedback from you:
- Continue to drive more and better methods of communication between the school and parents:
- Parents have a better idea of what's going on in the classrooms. Teachers are posting their weekly syllabi and homework on their Edlio pages.
- More frequent use of Parent Alert for important messages / reminders.
- Introduction of our monthly school 'e-newsletter'.
- Better use of school's Facebook page.
- Revamped our school website. More information / easier to navigate.
- Continue to highlight the importance of the communication between and the school and the family and investigate other methods for improvement.
- Put together the math committee made up of teachers and parents. Have met multiple times to investigate other math programs for our kids. Currently doing final review on the math program for the school.
- Improved interaction with the community:
- Greater parent participation in the PTO.
- Greatly reduced the number of fund raisers, and created more interactive events for all. As a result our 2 major fundraiser have been very successful.
- Got rid of Boosterthon company for the Fun Run in order to maximize the funds coming back to the school and make it "our" event.
- Added Grandparents' Day to the Seton Campus.
- Added to the after school program:
- Bricks for kids by Lego, at the Seton Campus.
- Programing / robotics at the St. Andrew Campus.
- In an effort to assist students, Science and Math teachers are staying in at lunch or assisting before/after school to offer extra help to our students at the St. Andrew campus.
- Continued focus on technology in the classroom:
- Introduced a full 1:1 iPad program in K - 3.
- Added another computer cart of Chrome Books to the 4th / 5th grade classes.
These improvements continue to support the success of our students in events like the Science Fair, Power of the Pen, Math Counts, and Spelling Bees. It helps to facilitate the success that we see in our graduates as they move on to high school. Over the past year, I have personally experienced the strength of our school community. I hope that same community steps up and take the time to fill out the survey for our school. Please help us as we work to offer our school’s values of being “Academically Excellent and Passionately Catholic” to a larger group.
As an incentive, we are offering an additional “Out of Uniform” day if we exceed our goal of 50% response. Our hope is that your kids will be more engaged in the process now also! Thanks again for your assistance.